Monday, June 2, 2008

Nervously fumbles with keyboard...

26w 4d

Hehe, um hi. So last week I was reading this article on Lil Sugar and I must say that it made my stomach hurt. No, that's not even the right way to put that. It literally made me feel uneasy, embarrassed, furious and insanely sad. The article was a bit vague on what the woman actually said to her mother in law after the fact, but I can tell you that I would have reacted a bit differently.

Screaming comes to mind. And a lifetime of possibly not speaking to, or at least avoiding my mother-in-law. I am all for breastfeeding, we have already covered this. What I will not stand for is someone else shoving their boob in my son's face and trying to feed him without asking. That last bit is funny to me since even if someone asked I would probably be immediately offended.

"Can you WHAT?! Go fly a kite!"

You see, I didn't even know that Cross Nursing existed until I read that article. So, in true Tiff form, I did some research. I get the whole thing about a mother not being able to breastfeed due to complications, medical reasons, etc. but it still gives me the heeby-jeebys. Apparently this is a common practice in some places, but I just can't stomach it. There are plenty of diseases that can be transmitted through breast milk including HIV. I guess this is my major problem with it - since I no way consider breastfeeding perverted, sexual, etc, which lets face it, is the problem that MANY people in this world have with it whether they realize it or not. That is a whole 'nother post, whole 'nother day!

So the explanation of my feelings towards cross-feeding would have to be, my kid, my decision. This could also be classified as "Your ass better ask me before you pull something like that with my child". Also included would have to be "is it healthy?". In my mind, no it is not. You would need several in-depth medical checks to feed my child - including some not-so-fun probing. GAH I'm kidding. Okay, not really.

4 comments:

Laura said...

This make me rather ill....

Colleen said...

No words. Just no words.

Elisabeth said...

Can't even believe this story! It is awful!

Old Meghan said...

I don't know which blog makes me want to vom more today, yours or Colleen's blog...