Monday, August 18, 2008

Full Moon Failure

37w 4d

The full moon on Saturday didn't produce a baby, but it did produce a mucous plug and a dry run to the hospital. I was supposed to have lunch with some friends, including the eventual guest-blogger on The Baby Luc, Colleen, but I didn't make it. I was emptying the bladder one last time for my trip when after I stood up I felt a gush of water. I looked at the mirror in the bathroom because let's face it, I can't see anything past my belly button, and I saw a watery substance dripping from me. It was tinged red, and I immediately thought what every pregnant woman would think at that point, "Damn, no Rocknes salad for me!".

I went outside to find Paul and told him what happened and we decided that of course I should call the doctor and see what they say. If my water can get out, that means that bacteria and whatnot can get in. So I called and even the doctor thought it was my water breaking and asked that I come to labor and delivery. After a quite annoying ride to the hospital complete with backed-up traffic, near fist-fights on the interstate and one ride through the ghetto, we made the 15 minute tops trip in 45.

I signed in, changed and they hooked me up to monitors. One monitor was for BL's heart (which stayed around 135-145 the entire time) and one was for contractions. I had about 4 contractions while I was there but they were "nothing to get excited about" according to the nurse. The doctors checked my cervix, swabbed around to see if it was indeed my water breaking and checked my fluid levels. "Not water breaking, but probably the mucous plug" they told me. Fluid levels looked really, really good and I was still at 1 cm (not surprising for only a day since my appointment). So after about 1.5 hours I was disconnected, wiped up all of slime that they spread all over my stomach and told to go home. Baby-less.

I kind of had a feeling that it wasn't time, but after seeing all of that "stuff and water" coming out, I took the better-safe-than-sorry route. I didn't want to be the girl who cried labor, but I was assured at the hospital that even pregnant doctors have made the same mistake. I continued having some contractions that night, a couple yesterday and two very painful ones in the middle of the night last night, but nothing time-able.

How's that for a story to start off your week? At least we now have a good route mapped out to the hospital!


Colleen said...

You did miss out on some awesome salad. You were greatly missed though.

And we taught Eric a new term this weekend with mucous plug.

Judi said...

I really thought this might have been the weekend! Can't wait to "meet" BL!

Laura said...

Don't worry, Tiff. I made sure to eat my whole pasta salad.

And Colleen told me not to call, but I couldn't resist.

Ari&Matt08 said...

Wow! For some reason, I was sure you were going to deliver this weekend! I kept checking the board and blog for updates. :) Soon enough!

angie said...

A good route is always a good thing. Darn that full moon for not producing magic for you this month! :)

Casey's trio said...

Thanks for your comment on my guest post over at Angie's place!
Good luck with your soon-to-be birth...I agree that having the route to the hospital is always a plus:)