Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Push Presents?

11w 5d

Good morning all. I want to first apologize for the lack of good descriptions on the ultrasounds last night. I was actually going to draw on them to make the features more obvious, but I was suffering from a debilitating migraine from about noon yesterday through about 4 a.m. this morning. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep last night. Second, something I forgot to mention yesterday was that it was a day that was long coming. I took out the belly button ring I have had for over 10 years. My stomach looks so strange now and has this funny hole. I wanted to scream THERE GOES MY YOUTH! when I took it out, but I didn't.

On to today's topic: Push Presents. On the way to the doctor yesterday, Paul and I were listening to a local radio personality who is also expecting (but who isn't, right?), talk about his wife wanting a push present. If you have no clue what I am talking about, let me fill you in. Once upon a time, in a land not so far away, (think America) women about to give birth, in all their hormonal craziness, decided that they were entitled to a present once they pushed the sucker out. Where this came from, I have no clue. I have no desire to research this insane and completely ridiculous idea. Usually, the present is pretty significant, such as diamonds. This was the case for our lovely radio personality, as his clue was two words: Cushion Cut.

Now, no offense to the crazies out there who think this is perfectly acceptable (I don't want them coming after me, they scare me), but honestly? The baby isn't present enough for you? Seeing a child that you have been growing and loving for 9 long LONG months isn't good enough for you? Eh. Maybe I am the crazy one. I am never one to think or beg (maybe sometimes JOKINGLY) that I am entitled to any present for ANYTHING. Valentines Day? Pish. I don't need one day for the card companies to tell me that my husband should buy me something, or that I should be extra affectionate with him that night. I love him every night, every day, and news flash people, but you can buy chocolate ANY DAY OF THE YEAR! No really! Check your grocer's check out lane! Sweetest Day, Birthdays, MLK Day, Columbus Day! No, no no! Women have been giving birth to babies for as long as I can remember and probably longer! Do you think that 500 years ago women who just gave birth in the woods on a dirt floor look up at their husbands afterwards and say, "Now go dive in the ocean and fetch me a pearl!". NO. Wake up people, presents are way more fun and appreciated if you don't know they are coming.

But there is one present you will know is coming, and it may be the greatest gift you every receive. No diamond, pearl or SUV can top it. It's called your child.

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

Yes, but it makes you feel really pretty when, after deliver, you are in pain and have stuff oozing out of you and (yes, the best gift ever!)your little one making your nipples raw.