Friday, February 22, 2008

The Great Baby Debates

12w 1d

With the presidential election going on, I feel like I am caught in one HUGE debate. Not only with politics, but with life! When it comes to preparing to bring home baby, there are so many things flying at you it is crazy. This is true during pregnancy too, but I think I have managed to wade through what's good vs. bad for this pregnancy (hint: I eat tuna). So far, I have found the amount of scientific studies and information that gets shoved down your throat and constantly debated on internet chat rooms and in real-life is overwhelming to say the least.

Here are some of my favorites so far:
  • The circumcision debate
  • Elective C-section debate
  • To use or not to use bottles containing BPA
  • Breastfeeding
  • Co-sleeping
  • Bumpers in the crib
  • Stay-at-home moms
While I might hint, or openly discuss what I am deciding with these areas, I am really getting tired of witnessing the claws that come out over this stuff. Some points come easy for me. I have researched and there are undeniable facts that support certain decisions. Others are not so easy, and take time and fire-side chats with your husband to decide on. I don't think it is a matter of supporting or not supporting your fellow mother. I think it should ultimately be what is best for you and baby. Honestly, if you have not done your research, and make it very apparent with your ignorance, then yes, you should be beaten and hung in town square. I'M KIDDING. The moral of my story: Do your research and do what is best for you and baby!

My favorite tool for wading through the seemingly endless choices when it comes to cribs, car seats, strollers, bottles, etc: Baby Bargains. Life saver. No really. I have begun highlighting and making lists of what is rated best, has the best safety ratings, etc. so that we are prepared when it comes to register. I bow down to these women!

No comments: